Monday, January 12, 2009

oh the joys of city living...

We were sound asleep for about an hour last night, when Glenn was awoken by Eve trying to walk all over his head. While this is not unusual in the early hours of the morning when she's hungry, it is odd behavior for midnight. So Glenn gets up--mostly because he can't sleep with paws on his eyes, and discovers that there is a large cockroach on the wall above the bed. Eve is trying desperately to attack this bug. Probably because she thinks it's fun, but I'll try to believe that she was protecting us.
So Glenn wakes me up, and I go running about trying not to turn on any lights (the roach would run for cover, and make him difficult to catch) and fetch the standard cockroach removal tools. A glass and piece of cardboard. In case any of you find yourself in a similar situation here's the technique that works for us:
1. Put glass over bug
2. Slide cardboard under cup and now the cockroach is trapped!
3. Have your team member open a window and toss that bug, or move to the bath room and flush the toilet. When the water begins to swirl and go down toss that bug--with some force to make him leave the glass and shoot down the pipes.
The only problem with this last part is I always think about him crawling out when I use the bathroom... *shudder*
Other options include cornering the roach and spraying him with an array of household cleaners--scrubbing bubbles works exceptionally well.

Everyone reading this knows how much i love all the critters of the outside, and that given the chance I'll rescue bugs before I squish them. But these guys are a different thing---2 inches long, creepy, and responsible for allergies and other not great stuff....I don't feel particularly inclined to save 'em.

So quite the adventurous night for us. Eve got an extra treat today for being the brave protector of her two humans. She for sure earned her keep last night.

But this just confirms my desire to get the heck out of NYC...

5 comments:

  1. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!



    Yucky.

    I had cockroaches in my last place and had to put all the food in plastic containers and get exterminators in and all that stuff. They came out right after I moved in. Leftovers. It's not just the city, though the cockroaches here are much smaller which makes it a little less icky. *shudder*

    Still, if you come closer to Boston I will not complain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am cracking up at my desk.
    My dog was going crazy last night. I came up with several hypothesis why:
    1. he missed his dad
    2. is was being protective of me bec. we were home alone and his sense that mommy is not just mommy anymore is kicking in....
    3. he wanted to annoy me.

    Never did I think I could have a Roach hanging over my head. humm...note to self.

    PS - Why do people spray bugs with household cleaners. Cockroaches have been around millions of years, even longer than us homosapians. IF I covered you in a bunch of windex would you shrivel up and die? no...on the contrary I heard it makes for a nice complexion. :) lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure I'm being stalked by a fisher cat, yet no one believes me. I have seen his yellow eyes staring at me through my sliding glass door. Can I borrow your cat? My dog hasn't helped me yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've got cockroaches and them some, you want to come down to Nicaragua and see :)

    ReplyDelete