Friday, September 5, 2008

Back to school

According to Glenn, yesterday was my 19th first day of school. But then, that seemed like an awful lot of years to be buying notebooks and pens, so I counted for myself, and found that it's actually my 20th first day of school. (That 5th year at Penn State had to be counted somewhere, I suppose.)
And yesterday morning I felt just as nervous as I did walking into Shepherd Hill to start 7th grade. A tiny fish in a big pond. Then I went to class and realized that I can do this. It's what I've been preparing my whole life for (though I didn't know it)--the opportunity to make a valuable contribution to the world.
This afternoon I don't feel very nervous anymore; my desire to be successful far outweighs any apprehensions I may have. And perhaps I feel this way because I know that the people I've surround myself with will help me when I inevitably stumble or have a massive meltdown, which ever comes first.
So now that I have spent the entire day being productive in the library, I'm going to meet Glenn for a drink and celebrate my 20th first day of school and the promise of a few more.

2 comments:

  1. 20 first days of school for you and I'm here trying to explain to my 9yr old step-daughter that her 4th grade teacher is not mean because she assigns homework! Ah, life. I am SO proud of you! I cannot wait to be able to see you...but, I know that between you being your super studious self and me raising a small tribe, we might have to wait a bit longer! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine, you desire to learn is truly amazing to me. I am in complete awe of your will power and enthusiasm! Where can I get some of that? We should hang out more…I think you might be a good influence on us Robertsons.

    DMC

    ReplyDelete